BSBWHS501 Ensure a Safe Workplace Activity-5
BSBWHS501 Ensure a Safe Workplace
BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management
FINAL ASSESSMENT COVERSHEET
Please ensure this form is fully completed prior to submitting.
This page should be on the front of your assessment and needs to be easily accessible.
|Student Number:||Insert Student Number Here|
|Student Name:||Insert Your Name Here|
|Subject:||BSBWHS501 Ensure a Safe Workplace|
|Course:||BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management|
I hereby certify that:
- This assessment task is my own work based on my personal study/research and not the work of another student and/or source.
- I have acknowledged all material and sources used to prepare this assessment task.
- I have not plagiarised or copied any part of this assessment task from the work of any other student or source either.
- This assessment task has not previously been submitted.
- I am aware of the requirements set by my Trainer & Assessor.
- I have retained a copy of this assessment task for my own records.
- I have completed all my assessments, tasks & activities (on Moodle®) successfully.
Student’s Signature: _______________________________ Date: 17 April 2019
|Wentworth Institute RTO Code: 91178 November 2017 Version: 1.0|
This assessment must be based on where you work (or have worked most recently).
This Assessment is designed to test the knowledge that you have acquired throughout the unit. Use the following tips to help you answer the questions:
Read each question carefully. Check with your trainer or assessor if you are not sure what the question is asking.
HINT: Use these questions as subheadings to create a business style report to answer your assessment
Your response to each question should aim to provide enough information to answer the question. In most cases, this can be done with just a few paragraphs. Don’t forget to refer to attachments under the heading (question) applicable, e.g. ‘See attached email’.
Important: Your assessment must contain this coversheet and your own coversheet (for your “report”)
Your answers & assessment submission must professional in style (Business), content and format. Maximum font size 11 points: Font Arial or Times New Roman; single spacing; clear paragraphswith appropriate punctuation, spellchecking and final submission will need to be proof-read. (i.e. few missing words or typo’s)
– Use clear, non-discriminatory language
– Avoid the use of jargon
– Write clearly using plain English
– Consider your target audience
– Ensure that your responses meet the needs of the target audience (in this case your trainer or assessor).
All of your work must be original.
Evidence of the ability to:
– establish, implement, maintain and evaluate a work health and safety (WHS) management system for a work area of an organisation in accordance with WHS legislation including policies, procedures and record keeping
– ensure organisational WHS compliance
– establish, implement, maintain and evaluate effective and compliant participation arrangements for managing WHS including identifying duty holders, identifying and approving the required resources and developing and implementing a training program
– establish, implement, maintain and evaluate procedures for effectively identifying hazards, and assessing and controlling risks using the hierarchy of risk control
– provide information and complete documentation for a WHS management system
– identify requirements for and request expert WHS advice.
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
– identify and detail relevant WHS Acts, regulations and codes of practice
– specify relevant WHS organisational policies, procedures, programs and practices
– explain hazard identification and risk-management processes
– describe the hierarchy of risk control and how it is applied in the workplace
– specify in-house and WHS legislative reporting requirements.
Marking and Criteria guide:
Assessor and student must read this carefully before assessment.
A 75% demonstrated competence in the answers is the benchmark only and students & assessors must note that professionally critical aspects/concepts must be included (e.g. WHS information relevant to specified industry and appropriate scope).
All parts (criteria) in the marking guide must be completed successfully for the student to achieve competence in this unit
EDUCATOR to complete
|(If resubmission required)|
|Pre-assessment work completed|
|All assessments, tasks & activities (on Moodle®) successfully||Add Scale||Add Outcome|
|Third Party Report|
|Third Party report Handed In (in person)||Add Scale||Add Outcome|
|Final Assessment – WHS Audit|
|1. The student has completed a hazard report||Add Scale||Add Outcome|
|2. The student has completed WH & S Policy||Add Scale||Add Outcome|
|3. The student has completed a Risk Assessment||Add Scale||Add Outcome|
Assessor to complete:
Did you observe the student? Choose an item.
Further comments required
Resubmission required – Choose an item.
Date resubmission must be handed in: ________________________
Assessor’s name and signature: _______________________________
Date: 17 April 2019
Final Assessment – Conduct WHS Audit
Conduct a WHS Audit and file a report on your findings
This assessment task is about identifying hazards and assessing and controlling risks associated with them. Using Hazard Identification Template and Health Safety & Risk Report Template, you will conduct a Workplace Health & Safety (WHS) audit of your workplace to ensure that your workplace a safe one.
You will need to identify hazards that your workplace has yet to address as well as hazards that have been addressed. In your audit report you will document these hazards, discuss their severity level, whose responsibility it is to address these hazards and who may potentially be affected by them. Please find the templates given below. Ensure that all fields in your template are addressed. Document your findings using photos and scale them accordingly to fit in the template.
Note: Details in this form must be specific and relevant to your workplace. If you don’t have a workplace you can use one (1) room to inspect within the Wentworth Institute College Campus.
- Hazard Report (Sample)
|Area / Location of hazard|
|Description of hazard(Include area and task involved, any equipment, tools, people involved. Use drawings or pictures if necessary.)|
|Possible remedies(List any suggestions you may have for reducing or eliminating the problem, e.g. re-design mechanical devices, procedures, training, maintenance work, etc.)|
To be submitted to the Manager Signed………………….…………………
|Action taken |
|Control implemented & evaluated|
- Health and safety policy
|This is the statement of general policy and arrangements for: |
(Name of company)
|(Name of Employer/Senior manager) has overall and final responsibility for health and safety|
|(Member of staff) has day-to-day responsibility for ensuring this policy is put into practice|
|Statement of general policy||Responsibility of: Name/Title||Action/Arrangements (What are you going to do?|
|Prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill health by managing the health and safety risks in the workplace|
|Provide clear instructions and information, and adequate training, to ensure employees are competent to do their work|
|Engage and consult with employees on day-to-day health and safety conditions.|
|Implement emergency procedures – evacuation in case of fire or other significant incident.|
|Maintain safe and healthy working conditions, provide and maintain plant, equipment and machinery, and ensure safe storage/use of substances|
|Signed: * (Employer)||Date:|
|Health and safety policy and procedure posters are displayed at (location)|
|First-aid kit is located:|
|Incident report is located:|
- Risk Assessment template
|Company name:||Date of risk assessment:|
|What are the hazards?||Who might be harmed and how?||What are you already doing?||Do you need to do anything else to control this risk?||Action by who?||Action by when?||Done|
|Slips and trips||Staff and visitors may be injured if they trip over objects or slip on spillages.||General good housekeeping is carried out.|
All areas well lit, including stairs.
No trailing leads or cables.
Staff keep work areas clear, eg no boxes
|Better housekeeping in staff kitchen needed, e.g. on spills.|
Arrange for loose carpet tile on second floor to be repaired/replaced.
|All staff, supervisor to monitor|
|From now on|
You should review your risk assessment if you think it might no longer be valid (e.g. following an accident in the workplace or if there are any significant changes to hazards, such as new work equipment or work activities).