In a recent blogpost we talked about the benefits of traveling and how it is the best escape from monotony and a great way to self discovery. We do hope we managed to awaken the explorer in you and you are currently looking for a destination that would be perfect for your college adventure. And if you’re anything like us then you probably like to geek out on vacations!
Well good news for you, today we have some super nerdy travel destinations for you to add to your bucket list:
Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, England
For all you Potterheads out there, if you want to experience what if feels like to be inside a Harry Potter movie then this is the place for you. This is where the first two Potter movies were shot, this is where Harry took his first broom flight and he and Ron crashed here in their flying car in the second movie. The castle has also starred in other movies like ‘Elizabeth’ and ‘Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves’. The best part though is that the grounds offers broomstick flying ‘training’ for all you wizard maniacs!
Akihabara in Tokyo is the ultimate geek paradise. Every other store in the place is either a video game store or a Manga retailer or a toy shop. The street has many maid cafes, there women dressed as minds will try to entice you in. Another perfect geek spot is the man-made island, Odaiba, where there is the Toyota Mega Web (a Toyota vehicle museum). Also there’s a Lego Park!
Shakespeare’s Globe, London
The modern, reconstructed Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre is only 270 meters away from the original site where Shakespeare performed his plays. This is the ultimate destination for lovers of Literature. The reconstructed theatre is modeled after the original to give you an insight into the world and vision of the Elizabethan playwright. If you happen to visit in the summer you may even catch his plays being performed and experience the magic of his words.
While in London you can also check out some more places associated with other Literary phenomenons like Baker Street which was home to England’s most enigmatic detective – Sherlock Holmes. It is now the Sherlock Holmes’ Museum that sells traditional as well as modern Holmes merchandise.
Galileo Museum, Florence
Founded by The University of Florence, the museum pays homage to Galileo Galilei. The place will tell you everything you need to know about the famous astronomer, engineer, philosopher, polymath and physicist (yes, that’s all one person), stepping into it is like stepping back in time. The museum houses many traditional scientific tools, including navigational instruments and telescope back from the 16th century.
If you’re big on adventure then you’ve got to visit this ancient city. It was featured in ‘Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade’. The city is an archeologist’s dream. Excavations have revealed that Petra was first occupied more than 9000 years ago. Only 15% of the city has been uncovered while the other 85% remains underground, still a mystery. The city was made up of tombs, houses, a theatre with a capacity of 3000 people, temples alters etc and still holds many secrets.
So set your backpack and get ready to embark on a geekation.