Manage and Develop Team
The Assessment Task is due on the date specified by your assessor. Any variations to this arrangement must be approved in writing by your assessor.
Submit this document with any required evidence attached. See specifications below for details.
The candidate will demonstrate the ability to ensure delivery of quality service through handling customer complaints, monitoring team performance, and intervening to develop team abilities to overcome difficulties in providing quality customer service.
You will perform two role-plays in the context of the Innovative Widgets simulated business. In the first role-play, you will follow procedures to handle customer complaints. In the second role-play, you will recognise areas in which you can improve the performance of a customer service team member. You will then coach the team member appropriately to improve their performance.
You must participate in two role-plays observed by the assessor:
Your assessor will be looking for you to demonstrate:
Adjustment for distance-based learners:
The role-plays can be adjusted for distance learning. The role-plays for this task can be varied to take place using Skype conferencing (or any other video conferencing tool available to the candidate). Candidates may also choose to video the role-play and submit electronically.
Appendix 1: Role-play description
Role description 1
You are a customer service team member dealing with telephone complaints from customers. Use the knowledge and skills obtained from your research on this topic and the facilitator’s presentation to answer calls from a customer.
Use the policy and procedures provided in Appendix 2 of this Assessment Task.
Role description 2
You are a customer service manager. Mary is a member of your customer service team at Innovative Widgets. Her role is to receive telephone enquiries and complaints.
You have observed the following:
When the misunderstanding was eventually cleared up, Mary wasn’t sure how to track orders or reorder the products. She said there was nothing she could do as Innovative Widgets’ procedures didn’t seem to cover this issue.
Demonstrate your knowledge of how to develop team members and coach Mary to improve the quality of her customer service.
Use the Innovative Widgets Complaints policy and procedures document in Appendix 2 of this task to assist you.
Appendix 2: Complaints policy and procedures
|Purpose||The purpose of this policy is to ensure the management of complaints is carried out consistently, fairly and transparently and in accordance with organisational requirements.|
|Scope||The scope of this policy covers the management of customer complaints by employees and contractors of Innovative Widgets.|
|Resources||Specific procedures for the implementation of this policy are available below and on the company intranet.|
|Responsibility||Responsibility for the implementation of this policy rests with employees and management of Innovative Widgets with responsibility for managing customer complaints.|
|Relevant legislation etc.|
|10/2011 – John Doe CFO|
To manage complaints
- Greet the customer courteously and give them your name.
- Listen fully to what the customer is saying. Try to gather all the facts about the complaint and jot them down. Ask questions and summarise what they are saying.
- Never argue with the customer.
- Apologise for any product fault or poor service. Be sympathetic. Ask if the customer will allow us to send the faulty item to our quality department for testing.
- When you have all the details about the complaint, ask the customer how they would like it to be resolved.
- No product replacements are within all staff members’ authority.
- All staff members can use their professional judgement and refund an additional 10% of the value of the faulty product up to a maximum value of $25.
- Complaints involving damage to other property are covered by our insurance. Help the customer to complete the Claims Form and ask if the customer can obtain quotes for repairs.
- All complaints involving injury must be referred to the Customer Service Manager. Agree a suitable time for the Customer Service Manager to call the customer.
- Any complaint that is not covered in the above procedures must be directed to the Customer Service Manager. Agree a time for the Customer Service Manager to call the customer.