BSBLDR501 – Develop and use emotional intelligence
ASSESSMENT ACTIVITY 1
BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management
ASSESSMENT ACTIVITY 1 COVER SHEET
Please ensure this form is fully completed prior to submitting.
This page should be on the front of your assessment and needs to be easily accessible.
I hereby certify that:
- This assessment task is my own work based on my personal study/research and not the work of another student and/or source.
- I have acknowledged all material and sources used to prepare this assessment task.
- I have not plagiarised or copied any part of this assessment task from the work of any other student or source either.
- This assessment task has not previously been submitted.
- I am aware of the requirements set by my Trainer & Assessor.
- I have retained a copy of this assessment task for my own records.
- I have completed all my assessments, tasks & activities (on moodle®) successfully.
Student’s Signature: _______________________________ Date: _________________
|Wentworth Institute RTO Code: 91178 November 2017 Version: 1.0|
This assessment must be based on where you work (or have worked most recently).
This Assessment is designed to test the knowledge that you have acquired throughout the unit. Use the following tips to help you answer the questions:
Read each question carefully. Check with your trainer or assessor if you are not sure what the question is asking.
HINT: Use these questions as subheadings to create a business style report to answer your assessment
Your response to each question should aim to provide enough information to answer the question. In most cases, this can be done with just a few paragraphs. Don’t forget to refer to attachments under the heading (question) applicable, e.g. ‘See attached email’.
Important: Your assessment must contain this coversheet and your own coversheet (for your “report”)
Your answers & assessment submission must professional in style (Business), content and format. Maximum font size 11 points: Font Arial or Times New Roman; single spacing; clear paragraphswith appropriate punctuation, spellchecking and final submission will need to be proof-read. (i.e. few missing words or typo’s)
– Use clear, non-discriminatory language
– Avoid the use of jargon
– Write clearly using plain English
– Consider your target audience
– Ensure that your responses meet the needs of the target audience (in this case your trainer or assessor).
All of your work must be original.
- identify own emotional strengths, weaknesses, stressors, emotional states and triggers through self-reflection and feedback from others
- model behaviours that demonstrate management of emotions
- recognise and respond to the emotional states of others
- promote the development of emotional intelligence in others.
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
- explain emotional intelligence principles and strategies
- describe the relationship between emotionally effective people and the attainment of business objectives
- explain how to communicate with a diverse workforce which has varying cultural expressions of emotion
- explain the use of emotional intelligence in the context of building workplace relationships.
Marking and Criteria guide:
Assessor and student must read this carefully before assessment.
A 75% demonstrated competence in the answers is the benchmark only and students & assessors must note that professionally critical aspects/concepts must be included (e.g. Coaching, SWOT analysis)
All parts (criteria) in the marking guide must be completed successfully for the student to achieve competence in this unit
EDUCATOR to complete
|Observation/assessment||Satisfactory/not Satisfactory||(If resubmission required)|
|Pre-assessment work completed|
|All assessments, tasks & activities (on moodle®) successfully|| || || |
|ACTIVITY 1 – Understand Self and Social Awareness|
|1. Understandtheir own emotion and focuses on and identify how the employee feels.|
|2. How knowledge of, for example, learning styles, personality types or communication styles, might be able to help relate to and understand the employee better and adapt their response.|
|3. Use their awareness of their own feelings and those of the employee to adapt their needs and employee’s needs.|
Assessor to complete:(circle)
Did you observe the student?YesNo
Further comments required
Resubmission requiredYes_________ No___________
Date resubmission must be handed in: ________________________
Assessor’s name and signature: _______________________________
Activity 1 –Understand Self and Social Awareness
|An employee that you manage really gets on your nerves.|
It’s not that their performance is all that bad. For example, the employee always does what is required of them in terms of professionalism, administration tasks and dressing appropriately. They meet sales targets and their customer service ratings on their performance scorecards are good.
On the other hand, the employee does not really respond to the team training and team-building sessions that you have initiated and that have proven so effective in sustaining team morale and driving others to success. Other team members seem to thrive on, and draw energy from, these team sessions, while this employee, if anything, appears emotionally drained from interacting with their peers. They say that they would rather work individually and that all the team stuff is suffocating. You’ve really tried hard to build a culture of teamwork and this feels like a slap in the face.
In your written response to the above scenario:
- Describe how you would set aside your own emotions to focus on and identify how the employee (probably) feels. Refer to relevant principles of emotional intelligence.
- Describe how knowledge of, for example, learning styles, personality types or communication styles, might be able to help you relate to and understand the employee better and adapt your response.
- Describe how you could use your awareness of your own feelings and those of the employee to adapt your response so that the following needs are satisfied:
- your needs (emotional needs, need for team cohesiveness, need to meet performance standards)
- employee’sneeds (emotional needs, need to develop and perform within a team environment).
Refer to relevant principles of emotional intelligence where applicable.