BSBHRM512 – Develop and manage performance management processes
ASSESSMENT ACTIVITY 1 – Skills Activity
BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management
ASSESSMENT ACTIVITY 1 COVER SHEET
Please ensure this form is fully completed prior to submitting.
This page should be on the front of your assessment and needs to be easily accessible.
I hereby certify that:
- This assessment task is my own work based on my personal study/research and not the work of another student and/or source.
- I have acknowledged all material and sources used to prepare this assessment task.
- I have not plagiarised or copied any part of this assessment task from the work of any other student or source either.
- This assessment task has not previously been submitted.
- I am aware of the requirements set by my Trainer & Assessor.
- I have retained a copy of this assessment task for my own records.
- I have completed all my assessments, tasks & activities (on moodle®) successfully.
Student’s Signature: _______________________________ Date: _________________
|Wentworth Institute RTO Code: 91178 November 2017 Version: 1.0|
This assessment must be based on where you work (or have worked most recently).
This Assessment is designed to test the knowledge that you have acquired throughout the unit. Use the following tips to help you answer the questions:
Read each question carefully. Check with your trainer or assessor if you are not sure what the question is asking.
HINT: Use these questions as subheadings to create a business style report to answer your assessment
Your response to each question should aim to provide enough information to answer the question. In most cases, this can be done with just a few paragraphs. Don’t forget to refer to attachments under the heading (question) applicable, e.g. ‘See attached email’.
Important: Your assessment must contain this coversheet and your own coversheet (for your “report”)
Your answers & assessment submission must professional in style (Business), content and format. Maximum font size 11 points: Font Arial or Times New Roman; single spacing; clear paragraphswith appropriate punctuation, spellchecking and final submission will need to be proof-read. (i.e. few missing words or typo’s)
– Use clear, non-discriminatory language
– Avoid the use of jargon
– Write clearly using plain English
– Consider your target audience
– Ensure that your responses meet the needs of the target audience (in this case your trainer or assessor).
All of your work must be original.
Evidence of the ability to:
- develop, implement, monitor and review an organisational performance management process which supports business goals including analysing the organisational strategic and operational plan
- design methods for the development of key performance indicators and formal performance management sessions by line managers
- consult with stakeholders to gain support
- design, develop, coordinate and implement individual and group learning and development
- train line managers and other relevant people to manage performance
- provide support to line managers to effectively manage performance issues, including dispute resolution and termination of employment
- develop approaches to improve performance and address identified performance gaps.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
- list characteristics of a learning organisation
- outline policies and legislation relevant to performance management
- summarise grievance procedures
- explain models for giving feedback and options for skill development
- describe options in the design of performance management processes
- outline role of performance management in relation to broader human resources and business objectives.
Marking and Criteria guide:
Assessor and student must read this carefully before assessment.
A 75% demonstrated competence in the answers is the benchmark only and students & assessors must note that professionally critical aspects/concepts must be included (implementation of performance management processes and development) .
All parts (criteria) in the marking guide must be completed successfully for the student to achieve competence in this unit.
EDUCATOR to complete
|Pre-assessment work completed|
|ACTIVITY 1 – Skills Activity|
|Organisation’s strategic and operational plans analysed.|
|Feedback gained and reported created.|
|Managing performance management processes created.|
|Use of effective communication skills highlighted.|
|At least two different employment situations within your place of work described.|
|Training process and talent managed.|
|Performance gaps identified.|
Assessor to complete:(circle)
Did you observe the student? Yes No
Further comments required
Resubmission required? Yes_________ No___________
Date resubmission must be handed in: ________________________
Assessor’s name and signature: _______________________________
Activity 1 – Skill Activity
- Locate and critically analyse your organisation’s strategic and operational plans. Identify and briefly describe any relevant policies and objectives to be addressed in performance management processes.
- Create a document that can be presented to line managers within the workplace which provides them with information regarding objectives for performance management and methods that can be used to develop key performance indicators for those reporting to them.
- Gain feedback from both providers and participants in relation to learning and development standards. Using this information, together with performance data, report on the success rates of activities to appropriate managers.
- Within your workplace or organisation, demonstrate the completion of the following while managing performance management processes:
- Take responsibility for developing, implementing and monitoring processes and strategies to manage performance
- Monitor the adherence to organisational and legal requirements
- Use systematic, analytical processes in complex, non-routine situations, setting goals, gathering relevant information, and identifying and evaluating options against agreed criteria
- Store, access and organise digital information in line with organisational procedures.
- Throughout the performance management process, highlight the use of effective communication skills during the following tasks:
- Liaising with personnel in a range of work contexts
- Supporting line managers to achieve goals, playing an active role in facilitating effective group interaction
- Negotiating with others to achieve agreeable outcomes playing an active role in facilitating consensus in contentious situations.
- Provide examples of at least two different employment situations within your place of work. How can you ensure that performance management processes are flexible enough to cover these employment situations?
- What might line managers need to be made aware of during training so that they can manage talent within the workplace?
- Identify the performance gaps and provide three possible reasons for why an employee or work team could be continually performing below standard.