What purpose does HRM serve in an organization?
What role does HRM serve in your organization (or your previous organization)?
What does “strategic” HRM sound like it means, in your opinion?
HRM (Human Resource Management) involves planning, organizing, making processes, implementation, development, pay roll and compensation,maintaining healthy relations with the employees, interactive schemes. Motivational sessions etc which helps to bridge the hap between the individual and organizational goals.
The primary and the basic role of HRM involves to ensure that the goals of the individual as well as the organisation are accomplished and met. The primary roles of HRM are as follows:
- Staffing (Employees) –Inspite of technological advancements and the world moving towards mechanism and automation the need to humans can never fade away. Humans will always be needed to perform various tasks in the organization. The basic meaning of staffing is placing the right people at the right place and at the right time. It involves handling the entire process that involves sending notifications of the job vacancy, recruiting people, deciding the salary etc. The process of staffing involves 4 steps:
- Making of staffing plan– This plan primarily deals with allowing HRM to analyse how much staff is needed in the organization based on the need and the budget.
- Changing and introduction of policies to encourage multiculturalism at work – HR Professionals have started giving a lot of notice to the multiculturalism, due to globalization an MNC has people working from all spheres with diverse religion, culture and language.
- Recruitment– It basically involves filling the right people with the position at the right time.
- Selection– This is the last stage of the selection process, in this stage the candidate is goes through the selection criteria and is shortlisted if he/she meets the criteria. Then the candidate goes through a detailed training program.
- Amendment and Development of policies related to work –Polices are predetermined set of guidelines, rules and regulations which are to be adhered by everyone in the organization promote equality and continuity. These Polices are formulated by the top management with the help of HR Department who are expertise. Some of the predefined policies in the organization are as follows:
- Policies related to Code Of Conduct
- Policies related to leaves
- Policies related to ethics
- Policies related to Discipline
3.Benefits and Compensation- HRM professional need to have a detailed idea about the revenue model of the organization and need to pre – defined a fair compensation to meet the various neds of the employees in the organization. Compensation includes everything what an employee gets for the work he/she has performed and the compensation is at par with the industry. Things included in this are the settlement of the payment system based on the experience of the employee and required skill set. Examples of employee compensation are as follows :
- Extra Health benefits
- Retirement Pension and other benefits
- Sick leaves
4.Retention of employees – Retention of employees is always a difficult task for any HR professional. It involves keep the employees continuous and satisfied always, this can be done through rewarding and compensating them for whatever work they have done. Majority of the people leave the organization because of following reasons:
- Issues with less compensation
- Unfriendly work culture
- Un supportive managers and regular conflicts
- Poor work environment
- Development and training:-To generate quality in the organization and to make the employees complete with the outside world, it is very important to give continuous training and development to them to help them sharpen their soft skills.
6.Dealing with Employment laws-HR Professionals are expected to be aware of the various laws which are related to employment such as:
- Law related to discrimination
- Health care and safety equipment’s
- Compensation related law such as wages
- Law related to labour
- Protection of work-Safety is one of the primary concerns in any organization. It is the primary of of the to Human Resource Professionals to ensure strict and proper safety with the premises of the organization which meets both the standards federal as well as union such as:
- Proper and safe ventilation
- No smoking Zone’s
- Hazards related to chemicals.