Inter-professional Practice & Patient Safety Essay - Griffith University
The purpose of this essay is to enable you to critically evaluate current research about adverse events in the acute environment. You will examine nursing strategies that can be used to prevent adverse events in a hospital including the role of inter-professional practice in promoting patient safety.
This assessment item will address all three (3) learning outcomes for this course.
For this task you need to write a 2000-word essay.
- Choose ONE of the following preventable adverse events options that may occur whilst a patient is in hospital:
- Medications errors
- Clinical management - failure to act
- Hospital acquired infection
- Write a critical evaluation of current research about adverse events in the acute environment. Note that the term critically evaluate “sometimes called critically analyse or review means to show the essence of something by breaking it down into it is components parts, examining each part in detail and explaining issues…” (Griffith Health Writing and Referencing Guide, 2018, paragraph 1). It also means making connections and seeing relationships between information. The term critically evaluate also implies to weigh up strengths and weaknesses and judge the worth of the argument or position (Griffith Health Writing and Referencing Guide, 2018).
Your essay MUST include the following components:
- An opening paragraph that identifies the aim of the assignment (including ONE chosen adverse event from the list below)
- A definition of an adverse event
- A discussion of the prevalence of your chosen adverse event in an Australian hospital setting
- An analysis of the identified topic’s effects or consequences on the patient, patient’s family and health care system
- A critical evaluation of TWO nursing strategies involving inter-professional practice that may be used to prevent the chosen adverse event
- A discussion of the potential barriers in achieving the chosen identified strategies in a hospital setting
- A discussion about how the nurse may overcome the potential barriers in a hospital setting to promote patient safety
- A conclusion with a final paragraph summarising the central points of your essay.
- A Reference list formatted to APA6 style.
- Reference to a minimum of 10 journal articles no more than five years old.