HI5002 Finance for Business
The assignment is a written comprehensive report and analysis of the firms’ financial performance (including referencing).
Your group is required to do the following tasks:
- Prepare a brief description of the company, outlining the core activities, the market(s) in which it operates within and any factors in the companies’ history which you consider help present a “picture” of your company.
- Specify ownership-governance structure of the company: i) Name the main substantial shareholders:
With higher than 20.00% of shareholdings. Based on this argument you should classify a firm as a family or non-family company, and With higher than 5.00% of shareholdings.
ii) Name the main people involved in the firm governance:
o Whether any of these people have the same surname as any of substantial shareholders (>20% share capital). If yes- you could use this as an argument for the presence of an owner or family member(s) in the firm’s governance. o Whether any of shareholders with more than 5% share capital are involved in firm governance.
- - Short term solvency (Liquidity ratios)
- - Long term solvency (Financial Leverage ratios)
- - Asset utilization (efficiency or turnover ratios)
- - Profitability ratios
- - Market value ratios
ii) Write a report which compares movements in the companies’ share price index to the All Ords Index. For instance, how closely correlated is the line with the All Ords Index. Above or below? More or less volatile?
From research via the internet (using credible sources) or financial/business
publications, note any significant announcements which may have influenced the share price of your company. These factors could include merger activities, divestitures, changes in management’s earnings forecasts, changes in analysts’ forecasts, unusual write-offs or abnormal items, macroeconomic factors, industry wide factors, significant management changes, changes in the focus of the company, impact of competitors or law suits etc. (Restrict the number of announcements to 5).
4 marks ii) What have they done to adjust/amend their gearing ratio? Increase or repay
2 marks ii) If the risk free rate is 4% and the market risk premium is 6%, use the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) to calculate the required rate of return for the companies’
4 marks iii) Is the company you have chosen a “conservative” investment? Explain your
2 marks 7. Weighted Average Cost of Capital (WACC)
i) Using information from the latest company report for the company (i.e. interest rate on their major source of long-term loans) and the estimated cost of equity capital calculated (in part 6ii above), calculate the WACC for your company.
6 marks ii) Explain the implications that a higher WACC has on management’s evaluation on
4 marks 9.
Discuss what dividend policy of the management of the company appears to be implemented. Explain any reason related to that particular dividend policy.
10. Based on your analysis above, write a letter of recommendation to your client, providing an explanation as why you would like to include this company in his/her investment portfolio. Please refer to the ratio results calculated earlier and any other trends or factors that you believe to be important.
5 marks __________________ Total = 100 Marks