BSBLDR501 – Develop and use emotional intelligence
ASSESSMENT ACTIVITY 3
BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management
ASSESSMENT ACTIVITY 3COVER SHEET
Please ensure this form is fully completed prior to submitting.
This page should be on the front of your assessment and needs to be easily accessible.
I hereby certify that:
- This assessment task is my own work based on my personal study/research and not the work of another student and/or source.
- I have acknowledged all material and sources used to prepare this assessment task.
- I have not plagiarised or copied any part of this assessment task from the work of any other student or source either.
- This assessment task has not previously been submitted.
- I am aware of the requirements set by my Trainer & Assessor.
- I have retained a copy of this assessment task for my own records.
- I have completed all my assessments, tasks & activities (on moodle®) successfully.
Student’s Signature: _______________________________ Date: _________________
Wentworth Institute RTO Code: 91178 November 2017 Version: 1.0|
This assessment must be based on where you work (or have worked most recently).
This Assessment is designed to test the knowledge that you have acquired throughout the unit. Use the following tips to help you answer the questions:
Read each question carefully. Check with your trainer or assessor if you are not sure what the question is asking.
HINT: Use these questions as subheadings to create a business style report to answer your assessment
Your response to each question should aim to provide enough information to answer the question. In most cases, this can be done with just a few paragraphs. Don’t forget to refer to attachments under the heading (question) applicable, e.g. ‘See attached email’.
Important: Your assessment must contain this coversheet and your own coversheet (for your “report”)
Your answers & assessment submission must professional in style (Business), content and format. Maximum font size 11 points: Font Arial or Times New Roman; single spacing; clear paragraphswith appropriate punctuation, spellchecking and final submission will need to be proof-read. (i.e. few missing words or typo’s)
- Use clear, non-discriminatory language
- Avoid the use of jargon
- Write clearly using plain English
- Consider your target audience
- Ensure that your responses meet the needs of the target audience (in this case your trainer or assessor).
All of your work must be original.
- identify own emotional strengths, weaknesses, stressors, emotional states and triggers through self-reflection and feedback from others
- model behaviours that demonstrate management of emotions
- recognise and respond to the emotional states of others
- promote the development of emotional intelligence in others.
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
- explain emotional intelligence principles and strategies
- describe the relationship between emotionally effective people and the attainment of business objectives
- explain how to communicate with a diverse workforce which has varying cultural expressions of emotion
- explain the use of emotional intelligence in the context of building workplace relationships.
Marking and Criteria guide:
Assessor and student must read this carefully before assessment.
A 75% demonstrated competence in the answers is the benchmark only and students & assessors must note that professionally critical aspects/concepts must be included (e.g. Coaching, SWOT analysis)
All parts (criteria) in the marking guide must be completed successfully for the student to achieve competence in this unit
EDUCATOR to complete
Satisfactory/not Satisfactory ||
(If resubmission required) |
Pre-assessment work completed|
All assessments, tasks & activities (on moodle®) successfully||
ACTIVITY 3 – Solving Conflicts|
1. a. Best way to respond to the Store Manager’s behaviour.|
b. Model positive leadership behaviour.
2. Principles of emotional intelligence that the Store Manager did not demonstrate.|| || || |
3. How the Store Manager should have acted and communicated.|| || || |
4. Connection between the Store Manager’s behaviour and store morale.||
Assessor to complete:(circle)
Did you observe the student?YesNo
Further comments required
Resubmission requiredYes_________ No___________
Date resubmission must be handed in: ________________________
Assessor’s name and signature: _______________________________
Activity 3 –Solving Conflicts
Your Store Manager has had a stressful month. It is the end of the financial year and sales revenue in the Timber and Plumbing & Electrical departments is down on targets, almost certainly due to increased competition from smaller competitors for trade contractors’ business.|
Just this week, the Store Manager held a meeting in which she yelled at all the department managers and told you and them to work out a way to improve revenue. Obviously, the outburst did not make much sense as the department managers, in such a large business, do not have the capability to raise much revenue directly. Marketing and distribution innovations that could have an effect are mainly a head office responsibility. The Wollongong store’s inability to counter the threat from smaller, more nimble trade suppliers has been the main reason for the revenue deficit.
Naturally, the atmosphere around the store and in the management team is subdued and a few managers have discussed leaving the organisation; other managers have responded by pushing unreasonable sales demands onto their sales staff.
You are now feeling pressure to do something: to act contrary to budget planning and cut costs or to increase pressure on others to offset poor performance in other areas.
In your opinion, this leadership behaviour was disrespectful to all the managers, created unnecessary concern about job security and undermined trust. There has been a clearly negative flow-on effect down through the store, which is now affecting people at a lower level. You are justifiably angry at the manager’s behaviour and blame her for making a bad situation worse with poor leadership and poor emotional awareness.
In your written response to the above scenario:
- Describe what you think is the best way to respond to the Store Manager’s behaviour. Describe how you would model positive leadership behaviour.
- Describe the principles of emotional intelligence that the Store Manager did not demonstrate.
- Describe how the Store Manager should have acted and communicated.
- Describe the connection between the Store Manager’s behaviour and store morale. Describe what effect the Store Manager’s behaviour could have on store performance.